Discovering interesting patterns in data is often referred as data mining, data science or big data. In the last few years, I have written several blog posts providing introduction to data mining and key topics in data mining:
- An Introduction to Data Mining
- An introduction to Frequent Pattern Mining
- An Introduction to Sequential Pattern Mining
- An Introduction to Sequential Rule Mining
- An introduction to Periodic Pattern Mining
- An Introduction to Sequence Prediction
- An Introduction to High Utility Itemset Mining
- An Introduction to Frequent Subgraph Mining
- Introduction to time series mining with SPMF
- Introduction to the Apriori algorithm (with Java code)
- Introduction to clustering: the K-Means algorithm (with Java code)
By reading these blog posts, you can get a good overview of many topics in the field of data mining in a short amount of time. Moreover, if you are interested by pattern mining, you can also read these more detailed survey papers:
- Fournier-Viger, P., Lin, J. C.-W., Vo, B, Chi, T.T., Zhang, J., Le, H. B. (2017). A Survey of Itemset Mining. WIREs Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, e1207 doi: 10.1002/widm.1207, 18 pages.
- Fournier-Viger, P., Lin, J. C.-W., Kiran, R. U., Koh, Y. S., Thomas, R. (2017). A Survey of Sequential Pattern Mining. Data Science and Pattern Recognition (DSPR), vol. 1(1), pp. 54-77.
Hope that you will enjoy reading the various resources provided above! Feel free also to participate in discussions on this blog.